The business was established in 1983 as part of the Boart group of companies. The company is currently wholly owned by Matasis Mining Equipment Pty Ltd.
- Boart a subsidary of Anglo American Corporation started designing and manufacturing hydraulic rock drills in the UK for the underground mechanised mining market
- Boart Longyear enters the mining equipment market by purchasing a utility vehicle (UV) range from Southern Denver
- Boart Longyear purchases GHH Mining SA (Pty) Ltd and enters the load haul dumper (LHD) market
- Boart Longyear develops and launches low profile drill rigs and utility vehicles. Drifter manufacturing facility relocates to South Africa (from UK)
- Anglo American sells Boart Longyear to Advent Equity Company
- The capital equipment division of Boart Longyear is sold to a consortium consisting of: Nedbank Capital Private Equity, Matasis Mining Equipment (a BBBEE group) and management. This new entity is registered as AARD Mining Equipment Pty Ltd
- AARD purchases corporate offices and manufacturing facilities in Chamdor, Gauteng
- AARD establishes subsidiaries in Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- AARD becomes wholly owned by Matasis Mining Equipment Pty Ltd.