The business was established in 1983 as part of the Boart Longyear group of companies. The company was sold to the current shareholders – a consortium comprising Nedbank Capital Private Equity, Matasis Mining Equipment (a BBBEE group) and Management – in 2008, and the company was renamed AARD Mining Equipment.
- Boart Longyear started designing and manufacturing hydraulic rock drills in the UK for the underground mechanised mining market
- Boart Longyear enters the mining equipment market by purchasing a utility vehicle (UV) range from Southern Denver
- Boart Longyear purchases GHH Mining SA (Pty) Ltd and enters the load haul dumper (LHD) market
- Boart Longyear develops and launches low profile equipment:drill rigs and utility vehicles. Drifter manufacturing facility relocates to South Africa (from UK)
- Anglo American sells Boart Longyear to Advent Equity Company
- Boart Longyear sells the capital equipment business to a consortium: Nedbank Capital Private Equity, Matasis Mining Equipment (a BBBEE group) and management. This new entity is registered as AARD Mining Equipment (Pty) Ltd
- AARD purchases corporate offices and manufacturing facilities in Chamdor, Gauteng
AARD establishes subsidiaries in Zambia and Zimbabwe.
AARD produces first Flameproof Low Profile Drillrig
AARD collaborates with BELL to manufacture Dump Trucks
- AARD becomes wholly owned by Matasis